Saturday, October 20, 2007

Integrity

Integrity. I wish I really had it. It would be nice to be perfect, after all. I actually fear writing about it, because that means I need to start living it.

integrity
noun

  1. an undivided or unbroken completeness or totality with nothing wanting.

  2. moral soundness.

Dictionary.com. WordNet® 3.0. Princeton University.

In typical Christian useage we speak of integrity in a moral sense. This is not wrong, but I think we can gain some more understanding by seeing it in its' definition of wholeness, totality.

Note the additional understanding gained by looking at the derivative integral:

integral

adjective

  1. of, pertaining to, or belonging as a part of the whole; constituent or component.

  2. necessary to the completeness of the whole.

  3. consisting or composed of parts that together constitute a whole.

Dictionary.com

Here's where I'm going with this. We only can live with integrity as we are undivided and complete in Christ. We only have integrity as we recognize that we are only part of the whole—He is 'necessary for the completeness of the whole'.

You and me, Jesus. Not just me. If you only knew! I am so not complete in myself.

One more derivative, the mathematical term integer. A whole number. Not a fraction.

Let me repeat, I am not complete in myself. In myself I am a fraction. With Christ I am whole, I am complete, I have integrity.

At any time that I start to separate myself from Christ, I am no longer whole; I am just a fraction, I do not have integrity.


Integrity. It's really only possible in Christ. With Him I am whole. Without Him I am not.

No comments:

 

count web site traffic
Staples Coupon