Friday, January 22, 2010

Someone else's musings

We cannot say what we believe. We only do what we believe.” (emphasis mine)  Todd Littleton, commenting on Peter Rollins' post where he says:
Without equivocation or hesitation I fully and completely admit that I deny the resurrection of Christ. This is something that anyone who knows me could tell you, and I am not afraid to say it publicly, no matter what some people may think…

I deny the resurrection of Christ every time I do not serve at the feet of the oppressed, each day that I turn my back on the poor; I deny the resurrection of Christ when I close my ears to the cries of the downtrodden and lend my support to an unjust and corrupt system.

However there are moments when I affirm that resurrection, few and far between as they are. I affirm it when I stand up for those who are forced to live on their knees, when I speak for those who have had their tongues torn out, when I cry for those who have no more tears left to shed.

(I found this while surfing Jon @ who follows Daniel who posted this. Are you lost yet?)

I don't think any commentary is necessary. 

3 comments:

Peter said...

Ooh, so good! So challenging. Al, you are a progressive, my friend.

Thanks, also, for your wisdom and maturity in your words at my site. You balance out my sometimes overzealous comments.

Sabio Lantz said...

I like Peter and read this quite a while back on his site. I don't think Peter cares for theology of the creeds. Do you?

Al said...

I haven't read much of Peter, so can't say much about him.

Most of my life has been in churches where creeds weren't used--not to say that there weren't a lot of specific theological statements, just not as old or concise as the creeds.

Although I suppose the idea of trying to nail down concepts that most people might hold in common could be worthwhile, I expect that it usually ends up with something not being said quite right (in someone's eyes), so there is still disagreement.

Not to mention the ongoing re-interpretation of thoughts, words, history, etc. As soon as something gets nailed down, someone has a different take on things.

I suppose one positive value of a concise statement of faith would be that hundreds of years down the road, you can see where you once were, and perhaps return to it.

(Watch for a post about 'can't see the forest...' soon. In a way it will touch on a similar theme,)

 

count web site traffic
Staples Coupon